Re: Heortling Sex and Marriage

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:38:25 -0000

>On top of this, the bloodlines can demand return of dowry,
>brideprice etc,and compensation for disruption to the hearth and
>crops if the marriagedissolves. So adultery can cripple a bloodline
>economically, quite apart from any emotional damage.

One of my friends is currently going through a divorce at the moment. Adultery was one of the causes. He would probably agree with you on the economic and social implications of the breakdown of marriage in our world. we know what a world in which adultery is prohibited in marriage - a ot lof us live in one.

Personally I think that humans in Glorantha are like humans on earth, with all their weaknesses, foibles, and failures. Even when the gods forbid man may err. Choice is part of the compromise and seperates men from gods.

And for me that makes for more interesting stories. Unrequited love, risking the wrath of the gods for love. And yes those lovers may comfort themselves with thoughts of Orlanth wooing Ernalda, or her liaisons during his outlawry. But without the prohibition where is the temptation, the joy and the sorrow that makes stories like Lancelot and Guinevere. Where would Viking sagas be without the odd spot of adultery.

As for Orlanth having liaisons while Ernalda remains at home - its usually referred to as the double standard.