How Wide and Deep

From: Greg_at_...
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:33:25 -0800

Friends,

> >"The" River (Engizi) is obviously big, it is the outflow of the
> >massive SkyFall. But what about the Creek and the Stream. Are they
> >as puny as their size would suggest? Or are they more abundant?
> >What about the smaller, often un-named rivers shown on the maps?
> >Obviously it will vary by river, but I guess the question is "To show
> >up on teh DP:LOT map, how substantial does a river have to be? (Yah,
> >this might have been a good question to have asked before
> >contributing to the gazeteer on a couple of said flows of water....)
> >
> >Anyone have any thoughts?

For my purposes, the minor rivers that are shown are generally too deep to cross during Sea Season, and may be crossable in Fire Season and Earth Season if there has not been much rain in the summer. By "be crossed" I mean by small boat or by swimming. Fords are where the rivers are shallow enough to walk across, and most of the known fords are where the roads cross them now.

Where the Kings Roads cross rivers there are generally bridges.

The ordinary rivers can be crossed on the ice in the Dark Season. They can generally not be crossed on ice safely in Storm Season, when things are thawing and refreezing, nor crossed in boats because of the same reasons.

The Creek, Stream and River are all larger bodies of water that are muchmore difficult for the whole year. They are short, but all have aquatic sources that are supernatural.

YGWV.