Re: River Slopes (was: Hiking Rates)

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:11:33 -0000

Joerg, Dave and I continue to try to flesh out Dragon Pass topography:
> I may have erred on the side of maeandring currents in the
lowlands, e.g.
> the Oslir from Furthest down, but for the Creek-Stream River
that's only
> Beast Valley and the Uzfields. The stretch from the current site
of the
> Lead Hills down to Karse was navigable upriver by some means. Most
likely
> the vessel was pulled upriver from the shore or by magic (or more
likely,
> both). I wonder who the river humans organizing this boating were
(since
> Hrestol Arganitis surely would have mentioned durulz)? Did they
disappear
> among the coastal Pelaskites?

I like the idea that the vessel was pulled upriver or used magic to go upriver - this was of course EWF and Godlearner times. I do not think that the Beast Valley stretch is currently navigable except by durulz.

> The narrative need tells us "navigable by reed boat", admittedly
steered
> by durulz swimmers.

Which could make all the difference.

> >> I think Furthest is maybe only about 1000 feet above sea level
> >> (maybe less), which gives it an average slope of 1 foot per
mile.
> Still, Furthest is pretty high up the Pass, as high as the lower
Kordros
> Island.

No, I really think Furthest is probably no more than about 1000 feet above sea level. Makes the rest of Tarsh hillier - presumably Mirin's Cross is about 500 feet or so above sea level. You then get a steep climb from Furthest to Dragon Pass.

> For geographical reference, how high is the Khyber Pass?

Comparable to Dragon Pass (or even a little lower) at about 3500 feet.

Jeff