Re: Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 21:39:20 +1200

At 09:23 AM 5/6/04 +0100, you wrote:

>We do have a few tantalising
>tidbits, such as the existence of "Umbarism" - a darkness-based form
>of Illumination*.

Or perhaps related to the worship of the Goddess Xiola Umbar, who was a friend of Yelm's in Hell. LC - Xiola Umbar is the Troll Goddess of Healing, i.e. the stout matronly nurse that isn't above clouting her patients if they misbehave/

>*explaining Illumination is not easy (sorry, I tried, but couldn't
>get anything I was happy with)

Illumination is the spiritual knowledge the world is in some way false and that what people tell you about the Gods is wrong. Done properly it can convey an insight similar to that of Siddatha Gatuma's four sights and lead the Illuminate to full spiritual awareness (i.e. become the Buddha). Done imperfectly, it can lead to madness or the false insight that "since the world is not real, it doesn't matter what I do".

Illumination is taught through riddles that are similar to Zen Koans. An example might be:

         What is the difference between Silence and Movement?
         The sound of a man dying.

--Peter Metcalfe