Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 09:23:58 +0100

>> If you want somewhere completely different and are prepared to wing
>> it, then Spol has a lot of potential dealing with the machinations
>of
>> the Darkness-worshipping nobility up to and including the dreaded
>> "Taloned Countess"
>
>OOOHH... that sounds odd. Do tell me more.

Spol is briefly covered under the Western Reaches in ILH-1. There is really not a lot published yet. We do have a few tantalising tidbits, such as the existence of "Umbarism" - a darkness-based form of Illumination*. Also, Gerra, the Suffering Goddess (worshipped by ritual self-mutilation) is recognised as one of the Red Goddesses previous forms.

Spol was previously under Carmanian rule so I think that there is some material around the web linked with writeups of Carmania. It isn't a nice place at all. Which is one of the reasons that it could be a good area to use in a game.

I was going to include something about the Red Emperor but Nick Brook has done it better than I would have done.

*explaining Illumination is not easy (sorry, I tried, but couldn't get anything I was happy with) - hopefully Lokarnos has something. I will say that Illumination is a mystical insight and that it is one of the foundations of the Lunar Empire. It can be seen as a spiritual step beyond the basic insights of the Lunar Way.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.