Re: Esrolia

From: Erik <epweissengruber_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 23:59:53 -0000

> Peter Metcalfe:Medieval Europe had about 2% of the male population
> practicing celibacy and in Tibet (admittedly an extreme case),
> the figure was something like a third. Despite this, the populations
> did not plummet.<

Remember that claiming that one practices celibacy is not the same as actually practicing it.

A cursory glance at the visits by Bishops to their ecclesiastical territories will reveal a surprisingly high number of pregnant housekeepers in the households of local priests, and an alarming number of "orphans" being cared for in nunneries.