Gathering Thunder (mild spoilers)

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:57:47 +0100

My copy of Gathering Thunder arrived this morning, so of course I've already finished reading it. Now, I'll let you into something of a secret: I didn't really like 'Battle of Iceland' in OiD. Yes, yes, I know a lot of people did, and that's good, but I wasn't one of them. I mention this now, not to diss 'Battle of Iceland', but because I'm glad to be able to say that the scenarios in this book are a lot better. They're not all brilliant, but, from my perspective at least, they are certainly an improvement. So here's my thoughts, good and bad:

Narrator Resources:
Two new hero bands are provided 'as is' without commentary - I couldn't really see the point of these. Ernathora's Destiny gets more of a description, and is a cool concept with a great character as leader. I'd have preferred it if the rest of the band looked a bit more like an adventuring party, though, given the stated narrative purpose of it. The other detailed hero band, the Black-and-Ivory Hunt, are very neat. There's a rather nice Orlanth subcult, and the material about getting a Band Guardian is both atmospheric and useful.

The New Breathers:
More of a description of the aftermath of the Battle of Iceland than a scenario, but it provides a lot of good ideas for gaming in this period. There is a short adventuring bit in there, which presents an interesting challenge.

Sheep, Clouds, Thunder:
This feels too linear for me to really like it; I'd have preferred to see some alternative options for achieving the objective, rather than force one particular approach on the players. It also simply doesn't feel like it belongs at this stage of the story - it would have made far more sense in Barbarian Adventures. One of the stated benefits of a succesful outcome is that 'now the Rebellion will take them seriously'. Pshaw! Fighting at a climactic battle against hoards of Lunar soldiers, when the heroes didn't even have all of their magic available, and the survival of all their kin was at stake (OiD p57) just wasn't enough for these people, apparently. No, they've got to nick some sheep from their neighbours before they'll be taken seriously. Gosh, some people are hard to please. And why do they need to send a 'real hero' along with the PCs just in case they muck up? If the heroes have survived Iceland, one would have thought they'd be pretty capable on their own by now...

The Other Side of the Dragon:
This is a good scenario, with plenty of opportunity to do other things in between scenes (although it's a pity that some of those things aren't described). The ending seems a little contrived, and rather anticlimatic to boot, but that can probably be fixed, and adapted for the tastes of your own group. The scenario nicely foreshadows the Sky Ship, too.

Final Days at Skullpoint:
For my money, this is the best scenario in the book. It's psychological horror, rather than the more uplifting sort of of stuff one has come to expect so far, but the change of pace is welcome. While events do follow a timetable, the scenario doesn't feel at all linear, with lots of different things going on at once, all rushing towards the denouement. Although there are plenty of fights in it, it's also the scenario that gives non-warrior characters the most to do, and thereby takes best advantage of HeroQuest's flexiblity.

Orane's Spindle:
Another good one. Nice use of a heroquest, and an interesting story behind what's going on. A little combat-heavy for my tastes, perhaps, but not enough to be a major problem. What does seem odd, though, is that all the Orlanthi and Ernaldans in it seem to have their magic working normally, yet it seems unlikely they were all present at Iceland. The end of OiD, and information in the 'New Breathers', both seem to imply that only those at the battle (NB actually says 'fought', but I assume it means 'participated', or PC healers are in trouble) get their magic back, and they can only give it to others 'briefly'. Either I've misunderstood, or this scenario has been published out of order, and nobody noticed that amendments needed to be made to fit it here. Either of those is possible, I suppose.

The Sky Ship:
The imagery in this scenario is truly fantastic, let me make that clear. Very cool. Unfortunately, it seems that, for most of the scenario, all the PCs have to do is ooh and ah at the pretty scenery and follow the pre-ordained script. True, there are some fights, and a few more interesting problems to be dealt with that make this an improvement over Iceland. But, on the whole, although succesful PCs will supposedly have achieved great things by participating in this scenario, it doesn't *feel* that way. It's more as if they were along for the ride, and their presence of absence really didn't make any difference to the outcome (indeed, this is actually more true than it was in 'Iceland').

So, three good scenarios and two-and-a-half acceptable ones ('New Breathers' is the half, since the meat of it is only one page long). Which, overall, is a thumbs-up to Issaries from me.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic