Re: Re: Soldiers pay and narcotics?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:37:40 +1200

Rory:

> > Hmmmmm, I bet there are economic implications in that much outflow of
> > gold/silver from the empire, and also the inflow where troops are
> > stationed.

>Take a look at what the war in the Low Countries did to Spain (you know, the
>country with all the gold from the Americas? The richest nation on earth (or
>at least in Europe) at the time...).

Spain's economy suffered not because they spent so much gold in wars but because the amount of money in their economy rose dramatically while the size of their economy remained the same in a period where "We'll be twice as rich?" was the standard economical thinking.

ObGlorantha: The closest parallel would be Nolos which is earning shit^ploads from the Opening.

--Peter Metcalfe

---