Re: Re: Zin Letters and Issaries Fan Publishing Policy

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:27:02 +0100

>Is the new policy actually in effect, or are people being asked (and its
>been foreshadowed for several months now) not to fan publish/fundraise for
>cons/promote Glorantha until the policy *does* come into effect - that is,
>pretend that its in effect even though no one knows what the policy is?

Fan publishers have, for some time now, been under a "don't publish until the new policy is sorted" and were originally asked not to discuss the matter. The latest e-mail doesn't ask us not to discuss it, and given this has now gone public I'm willing to stick my neck out.

This week an e-mail went out stating that the policy would take a "few more weeks" to sort out, and would then be announced. I've been told privately by Steve Martin that I have nothing to worry about (with respect to the hopefully soon forthcoming Scotscon fundraiser) so I'm waiting to see the policy before announcing the death of fan publishing. The delay is highly irritating though - given lawyers are apparently involved, perhaps this is inevitable.

>Having the prime fundraising vehicle for a con pulled because of a policy
>that no one is allowed to see literally days before the event (when the
>deposits have all been paid for) is simply ***unbelievable***

There is a specific exception in the "nothing can be printed" ban for books aimed at supporting a specific convention. So the continuum book is safe. My guess is that the continuum book is the specific reason for the exception.

Beyond that, I don't know the content of the policy, or the reason for it, and I'm sure no one is that interested in my uninformed speculation.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson