Iron effects (Cool stuff & NPCs)

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:37:17 +1000

At 06:06 AM 25/08/04, Jane wrote:
>It is intended to be an actual change in the way Glorantha works, then?
>One day iron started inhibiting magic, and everyone went "WTF???", took
>it off and threw it away? It hasn't been all that relevant in-game yet,
>I was hoping I'd just misunderstood something. (Swords campaign, moving
>from HW to HQ, we decided the rule didn't apply to Humakti, and ignored
>it. Or said "no, this is a mysterious metal that looks just like iron
>but doesn't affect magic, OK?")

  Humakti and some others (particularly Iron Mostali) could have Negate Iron's Effect On Magic; use its bonus to counter the negative effect of Iron: -6 from an iron sword countered by the +4 from Negate Iron's Effect On Magic 16W gives -2 total to magic. It's *hard* to counter a lot of Iron, but probably worth it.
  A devotee or initiate could, of course, enchant an Iron weapon or armour with it, making the item nicer to use - and giving the RQ 'enchanted iron' effect.
  This all assumes you consider the magic to be possible - it'll have a reasonably major effect on HQ Glorantha, but get back some of the RQ concept of Iron; the hard man with Iron, and the well hard man with Iron that can use magic easily...

  Then, of course, there was the duck with the iron bucket. He loved that bucket.

Paul May
0409544095

Any opinion expressed is mine, no matter where I got it from, and I retain all rights to it, should it prove to be of any value.

---