RE: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:03:52 -0400

Donald, thanks for the ideas on another clan taking her in. If it did happen, it would be as you say, they accepted her as a guest, then quickly got her to leave.

On 20 Sep 2004 at 20:54, donald_at_... wrote:

> I've never been convinced that the biggest problem for the clan is
> the gods' retribution. IMG the problem is people take sides and
> because there's no legal resolution possible the killing escalates
> weakening the clan. So the outlawing of a kinslayer serves a social
> purpose - each member of the clan has to decide whether to support
> the clan or the outlaw and those who support the outlaw are themselves
> outlawed. In some cases that leads to the clan splitting into two
> but not I think here.

No. In the end, next to no one sides with her on this. The clan wouldn't split in two.

> If you're looking for a really nasty fate for the clan you've got
> the Crimson Bat - that destroys the souls of it's victims which
> to the Orlanthi is far worse than even kinslaying. Of course while
> she believes that the child is going to bring that doom on the
> tribe, if it happens she will get the blame because kinslaying
> causes chaos.

Have I mentioned the game is in Karse, right after the invasion? And that due to the timing, I am going to let the characters find out about the summoning of the Bat to Whitewall? (and possibly interfere in it?) I suppose the thing has to eat on the way to its target...