Re: Punishment in Orlanthi Law

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:58:39 +0100

>Paul.
>
>On 20 Sep 2004 at 8:15, Paul Andrew King wrote:
>

>> Permanent Outlawry (i.e. for life). It's the chief's son and the
>> chief usually has the final say - and it'd be very hard for anyone
>> else on the Ring to disagree even if they wanted to. Then she's just
>> another enemy of the clan and "fair game".
>
>That was my idea. One thing I'm wondering about is whether or not
>she could hide with
>a rival clan at all. Or would the knowledge she is a kinslayer
>pretty much trump any clan
>rivalry in this case?

Unless they really hate her birth clan I can't see any Orlanthi clan as being receptive. IMHO Elmal, or Ernalda oriented clans wouldn't be any better. Humakti could be understanding (although they'd probably say that she should have turned to Humakt to solve the problem !). Gagarthi bandits wouldn't care.

>> The way I'd see it is that as soon as they know that the kid has been
>> taken and they have worked out that she did it she'd be declared
>> outlaw. If there's hope that the child is still alive they'll be
>> more concerned with getting him back than killing her (so the hunters
>> would be looking to capture and interrogate her - probably involving
>> torture).
>
>That could get her the scarring. Not sure how she would escape the
>torture, but she
>does.

If it's just one guy or possibly only a few that catches her then she only needs one decent break. That's how I'd see it. One guy catches her, roughs her up a bit, and then something happens - hostile neighbours, a dangerous wild animal (boar, maybe, or a bear or wolves) anything that occupies him long enough that she can escape.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.