Re: Karse, Heortland

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:06:48 -0000

>While I agree that there were
> no formal fiefs (probably neither in Esvular), we do have a
pyramid of
> oaths of fealty. The land is owned by the clan and assigned by the
> clan leader. The clan leader speaks for the clan, the warriors
swear
> fealty to him, and live either in his hall or (in special cases) in
> the hall of some of his thanes.
>
> Drop the term clan, and you get a situation like in Loskalm.

Drop the term sheriff and you get a traditional Sartarite clan.:) That's the reason I suggested we be careful about using terms like "feudal" - because it you aren't, you just described pretty much every Bronze, Iron, Dark and Medieval age society. Which, of course, makes the term pretty useless as a description.

Here's my point in a nutshell: a Sartarite is going to feel a lot more culturally comfortable and familiar amongst the Heortlenders than anywhere else. Amongst the Volsaxi, he's not going to be able to tell a difference. In Gardufar and Karhend, the cities may be a little strange, and there may be far more heavily armored mounted troops than he's used to, but things will still be pretty darn recognizable (compared to say, Tarsh - even before the Lunar Conquest). And the Esvulari are just weird.

> Good points. Reminds me of my old essay on taxes, which mentions
this.
> http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd1/1997.03/0868.html
> Still, I see Durengard as the castle where he sits out Dark Season,
> and where he (or at least his court, if we take the Larnsti "keep
> moving" requirement - lifted from early descriptions of the Kolat
> tradition, methinks - literally) will stop over, store treasures,
> guest the Pharaoh (on his circuit) etc.

That's fine with me. Originally, I think Whitewall was the "sacred seat" of the Hendreiki kings, but it was probably moved in the Second Age to Durengard. Whitewall is just not a very convenient location.

Jeff