Re: Re: Karse, Heortland

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:15:20 -0400

On 22 Sep 2004 at 14:47, jeffrichard68 wrote:

> Let's be careful about the use of the term "feudal". Heortland does
> not have fiefs or feudal contracts. What it has is mounted warriors
> with chainmail and spears - think Norman knights. However, these
> are thanes appointed by the sheriff (i.e. clan chieftain) and
> supported by the clan - and not feudal retainers.

Hmmm.... a roaming militia of sorts. A professional defender class.

> I personally like the idea of an itinerant High King who travels
> with his household and retainers - it goes well with the Larnsti
> theme. It also means that no one place is forced to constantly fee
> the king, his household and his retainers, and allows the king much
> more direct contact with his people. I think that Orlanthi kings
> are probably far more itinerant than the literature suggests and
> that "royal seats" are largely ceremonial places and not necessarily
> the year-round residence of the king and his household.

I do like this. A court that travels North in Summer, South in Winter (too bad there're 5 seasons and 4 regions, or it would be easy to tie a myth in there.) Rikard, of course, doesn't do this. (Being western and being not Larnsti.) But a wandering High King, offering all the people a chance to bring their greivances, one who must come to the land and to the people.. I like that idea.

LC