Tarshite Royals V2

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:06:46 +0200 (CEST)

Erik Weissengruber:
>> I have consulted the
>> internet, Tarsh in Flames, and Genertela:Crucible of the Hero Wars

Jane:
> But not King of Sartar?

Or Lokarnos?

http://lokarnos.com/article.pl?sid=03/07/30/1733206&mode=thread

>> I hope the experts check in soon and I am not forced to trudge >> through the Digest to find my answer.

Been there, done that, see the Lokarnos entries.

Jane:
> I can answer a few of these.

>> Pharandros
>> - his mother (Moirades' wife) has taken up with a Sartarite pretender

One of two versions presented in King of Sartar. The other (my preferred) has Estal as Pharandros' sister.

>> - who is his mother?

IMO the same noblewoman from Durnsa in Sylila who is Estal's mum.

>> - who is the pretender?

> Estal Donge, and Temertain. But the Tarsh part of CHDP has her as his
> mother, and the Sartarite part as his sister. Confusing.

Given the exactitude of the Tarsh info for 1621-1630, I'm inclined to disbelieve the "mother" bit.

> KoS p 147 says Estal was from "the city of Durnsa", wherever that is.

In Sylila, where both Fazzur's family and the Tarshite royals have holdings.

http://lokarnos.com/article.pl?sid=03/07/17/1928230&mode=thread

> KoS p145 says he's "a Tarshite, of the Orindori clan, wihc had close
> connections to the king"

IMO Fazzur's sister married Pharandros. Moirades' grandchild was named Phargentes (again), mentioned as emperor during Argrath's LBQ. Whether by Pharandros or Estal isn't completely clear.

>>Moirades is an "in-law" to Fazzur.
>>- did his sister marry Fazzur or did he marry Fazzur's sister?

> Vostos' last child, a daughter, was born in 1568 and was named
> Harsta. She was a proud and haughty noblewoman, and wed the
> second son of King Phargentes.

> http://www.glorantha.com/library/eurmal/personalities-fazzur.html

> However KoS describes Moirades as an only son. So I think there
> has been some family scandal in which the bodies have been buried.

IMO she married Pharandros. Pharandros may well have been 40ish in 1610 when he took on the regency, and Estal was of a younger age than Temertain in 1613/14.

> Jane:

>>But the Tarsh part of CHDP has [Estal] as [Pharandros] >>mother, and the Sartarite part as his sister. Confusing.

Peter:
> I think Estal was trying to hide her relationship with the Tarshite
> Royal House to avoid shaming them.

IMO/G she hid her relationship with the royal house to hide the dynastic aquisition of Sartar through her heir. This would have worked with Moirades' daughter only.

> Because she also looked much younger than she is,

Doubt that.

> many sartarites made an educated
> guess and came up with a plausible (but not the correct) answer.

That's the long detour you have to take to make her Ph's mum. Easier to make her the younger sister.

> I also thought of the theory that after his recall, Fazzur was
> blackmailing Estal about her relations and at the same time
> leaking salacious stories about her to the Tarshites in order
> to discredit Pharandros.

Works as well in the sister ploy, and weakens F's own crown ambitions (if he had avoided being overcome by Tatius).

> Jane.

>>I'm not sure, but I can tell you that Onjur the Poet is also known as >>"Fazzurson" and so presumably his son.

> Onjur is not the son of Queen Hendira. Presumably he
> goes mad and offs them.

That's David Hall's theory, see Lokarnos.com.

> He certainly is bloodthirsty given
> that he slaughtered about a quarter of Furthest when it
> fell.

One might call that being systematic. I suppose the quarter was inhabited by Phargantite families.

I also doubt that Onjur did so singlehandedly - more likely the Fazzurites finally paid back for the assassinations of 1625 (which led to Fazzur's abrupt departure the night before the battle of Dangerford, including his household forces, both of which were likely to be betrayed and sacrificed in that battle...).