Re: Re: Thanks on Sartar Rising, Lunars

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:56:56 -0700

> In general, I'm kind of interested in the Lunar setting even though
> Lunars seem to be the "bad guys" in the Hero Wars. Like Dragon Pass,
> the Lunar Empire seems to be the kind of place where really random
> collections of heroes can plausibly meet one another and travel widely
> without a lot of hassle. It also seems large enough that not
> _everybody_ in it has to stomp Orlanthi in bloody jackboots, or learn
> to stop worrying and love the Bat.

The Lunars are only the bad guys if you want them to be. You could just as easily make the Orlanthi into terrorists as the Lunars into jack-booted thugs. (parallels to a modern crises involving a superpower invading a small, fanatic country are perfectly apt...). (The real Bad Guys are the Dwarves. Or the Westerners. Or the Mer-folk. Or the Pentans. Or the Orlanthi. Or the Trolls. Or the third-eye Blue cult. Or the Newtlings. Or a rogue officer inside the Lunar Military who is willing to send the Bat to bomb Russia (Mine Emperor, I can valk!)...)

The Lunars are civilised folk, and it all depends on your point of view as to exactly *who* is the bad guy. The Lunars have been portrayed as jack-booted thugs in HW/HQ scenario books just because those have all been written from the PoV of the oppressed Sartarites so far. But with the ILH series, you'll see a different side of the coin. (Especially since "Lunars" encompasses a whole ton of homelands!).

And there is plenty of finger pointing *inside* the empire as well! it's not one big happy empire, It is all held together by the slederest of margins. Remove the Emperor (or introduce an additional one) and it's all down the drain. Rinliddi will fight Carmanian will fight Dara Happan will fight Pelandan will fight Provincial... (parallels to a certain super-power's electoral process are perfectly apt...). There is plenty of Intrigue, deception and governmental cover-ups (it's nice to have a govenrment that *can* coverup a mess - a lot of "gubbmint conspiracy" plotlines can't really be run in the Orlanthi milieu), as well as external foes to fight.

Heck, even rabidly-Orlanthi Jane is getting on the Lunar bandwagon! ;-)

RR
- Richelieu