Re: Tattooing.

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:45:30 -0000

Hi David,

> Does anyone have
> suggestions for people who use say sacred paint?

The Darjiini certainly paint themselves (cf the Kotori illustration in ILH-1).

Then again, arguably the Orlanthi are more painters than tattooists considering that Brew Woad is a pretty common feat. Perhaps tattoos are limited (I see the major use of them more as an Exile thing) to core identities (tribe, clan, cult), supplemented by woad markings related to season and circumstance (for example, I have my rune of Destor rune tattooed on me, but when I'm going to war, I paint on and around it, to create a distinctive 'adventurous Destori off to raid Shepelkirt' design).

This raises the entertaining notion of Lunar scouts thumbing through the recognition tables in their Jane's All the World's Tattoos and Symbols to check if those Heortlings passing by are off to raid their neighbours' cattle or attack an Imperial city...

All the best

Mark