Re: Pavis climate

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:56:37 +0000

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 02:39:59 -0000, you wrote:

>In Vol4 of the Pavis and Big Rubble Companion, the article on Pavis
>County states that Pavis recieves 44 inches of rain a year.
>I know several of the authors of that article post on this forum so I
>pose the question here.
>
>Is this a mistake? If this is true, then Pavis County is quite
>different then what I had envisioned. 44" of rain is by no
>definition of the word, an arid climate. This is more rain than what
>falls in Portland or Seattle or through large portions of the pacific
>northwest. With that much rain, Pavis County should be a well
>forested region. Pine and scrub oak at the least, chapparall
>communities on the south facing slopes (unless Yelm travels exactly
>across the middle of the sky dome in which case slope facing wouldnt
>matter). And the water table would be easily accessible throughout
>the year, making Prax and Wastes much less difficult to live in.
>
>Is there something I am missing? Or is the Pavis/Prax region not a
>desert at all, but just looks like one because of the God Age
>events? I assumed that the God Age battles made the land barren and
>made the climate arid.

Sorry if this reopens old wounds (I'm playing catchup here) but I've been unconvinced by the stated rainfall for the City of Pavis ever since it was first stated in the Pavis box all those years ago.

One key reason I don't believe it, which I've not yet need mentioned, is the architecture. We know what Pavis looks, like, flat roofs with ridges around them, very much what you'd get in a middle eastern setting. Probably people sleeping on the roof during Sun season and so on.

Now if you put that kind of roof into a place where 44 inches of rain fell every year, and not even all in one event you'd find they'd fill up with water which would run through into houses, ruining them. Every year.

Unless the Pavis/Fintail pantheons provide vast arrays of Common Magic along the lines of 'Plug Leak', 'Drain puddle', 'Dry Rafters' and the like then it doesn't work. Even the suggested 44cm seems pretty high. And I've never seen it suggested that repairing water damage is a major part of the culture/mythic structure. Repairing masonry, yes, but rain damage?