Re: Otherworld differences

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:53:32 +0000 (GMT)

> Is there anything which differentiates each of the 3
> otherworlds (from
> the point of view of non-otherworld visitor) from
> each other?

I seem to remember that being in the "wrong" otherworld feels uncomfortable. One of the sample scenarios describes this, doesn't it?

>.. But page 197 of the HQ book put

> paid to that idea with phrases like "This transition
> may be gradual or
> ..." and "Questers may not realize they have entered
> the Hero
> Planes until something different happens."

That doesn't mean there's no difference, only that it (may be) gradual. If the story demands a clear-cut boundary, there is one. It it requires that the heroes suddenly realise that they've been on the HeroPlane for the last half hour and three fights, you can have that too.

I agree that it would be nice to have a
generally-accepted idea of what each of the worlds looks like, and following on from that, what it looks like to an "alien" visitor.

My own tentative ideas were that if you're in your "own" otherworld, it looks to you like the real one writ large, and with certain aspects somewhat more symbolic than normal.

But the symbols differ, and the definition of "large" differs. So, very much IMtentativeO, theists tend to personify everything - it becomes clearer to them that the wind is Orlanth's breath, that clouds are sheep, and so on. They knew this anyway, it just becomes more obvious. Essence users tend to do the opposite, and "people" get represented by objects that symbolise them. I haven't given spiritists much thought as yet, and I should. my guess would be that the physical aspect of anything they see becomes less important, and they see the spirits within it more easily. So you notice the spirit of the rosebush first, and the pretty flowers second.

Jane Williams

Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com