RE: Re: Bashing Runequest - why bother

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:15:12 -0000

> From TR I got the impression that a temple is a site, not a
> building, but there wasn't much explanation of how the temple
> institutions worked.

I'd guess that it's a site that may have things built on it. Open-air worship is the norm for Orlanth, underground perhaps for Ernalda, bt I'm sure it can be "decorated" with standing stones and things.

The pictures in KoDP might help? Clan-level shrines and so on all had little sketches, as I recall? And it's all on the Glorantha site, too, collected on one convenient page!

http://glorantha.com/new/heortling_temples.html

> Somewhere (maybe not TR) I remember reading that the temple
> of warrior gods like Helemakt was the worshipper's warband,
> which makes eminent good sense. The worshippers "priests" in
> such a "temple" would probably just be the warband leaders
> who worship in the same subcult.

I also seem to remember something somewhere saying that if there was a temple of a warrior god in a trbe/clan, then that temple provided the warband. Which would seem to imply that if a clan happens to have a Vingan holy site on their lands, all the warband are Vingan. Which sounds silly. Let's hope I mis-remembered, or mis-understood.

> This makes sense -- if the temple is a site, then the temple
> institution might just be the social group that has the legal
> right to worship in that site. Several clans or tribes might
> have rights to a given site. Presumably there's some form of
> committee of worshippers or the like to manage access to a
> site in this case. The representatives to the committee of an
> inter-tribal site would probably be priests from various tribes.

And wouldn't that be fun, if the tribes in question are feuding?

> I think so. And for "weird" cults like those covered in
> _Storm Tribe_, all temples are probably inter-tribal, simply
> because there aren't enough worshippers for any of those
> cults to justify having a dedicated site for a tribe.

Also agreed. Though no doubt with bias. If you have a temple to your weird god right next door, you're not likely to use a different one.