Heortling temples

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:22:39 -0000

> I'd guess that it's a site that may have things built on it. Openair

> worship is the norm for Orlanth, underground perhaps for Ernalda,
bt I'm
> sure it can be "decorated" with standing stones and things.

I personally have assumed that most places of traditional worship have been decorated over the centuries. Standing stones, carvings, stairs cut into the stone, and so on. We got a lot of history at these holy places.

> I also seem to remember something somewhere saying that if there
was a
> temple of a warrior god in a trbe/clan, then that temple provided
the
> warband. Which would seem to imply that if a clan happens to have a
> Vingan holy site on their lands, all the warband are Vingan. Which
> sounds silly. Let's hope I mis-remembered, or mis-understood.

See my previous post. This is the "temple" of Orlanth Adventurous (or Orlanth the Warrior in my campaigns). If a clan happens to have a Vingan holy site on their lands, the warband is likely to be often led by Vingans. The Orlmarthing warband is dominated by the Finovan subcult.

> > This makes sense -- if the temple is a site, then the temple
> > institution might just be the social group that has the legal
> > right to worship in that site. Several clans or tribes might
> > have rights to a given site. Presumably there's some form of
> > committee of worshippers or the like to manage access to a
> > site in this case. The representatives to the committee of an
> > inter-tribal site would probably be priests from various tribes.
>
> And wouldn't that be fun, if the tribes in question are feuding?

I'm sure that happens - in fact, in some cases, the feuds may well be started over the issue of access to holy sites. Holy places may be fought over as easily as cattle.

Jeff