Re: Request for Middle Sea Map

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:38:18 -0500

David Dunham posts:

>Although Men of the Sea has a fine map of the oceans (p. 41), it doesn't have a map of the lands (p. 21 isn't really sufficient). Issaries, Inc. would like to remedy this, but we need your help.

This is really great news! The lack of a ports map is one of the few things that marred an otherwise wonderful supplement. My thanks to Issaries for trying to remedy it so quickly.

That said, I am plotting a series of adventures using Men of the Sea and have a question. When are open sea voyages *not* considered too dangerous to attempt?

Sea Season - "Sea Season is a bad time for ships to venture out into the open oceans."

Fire Season - "Thus, sailing is dangerous, and all but the best captains sail their ships close to the coast, trading and raiding within sight of land."

Earth Season - "Earth Season is the season of the weakest winds, and yet it is when the erratic Typhoon Season begins in the East Isles."

Dark Season - "Fierce typhoons and hurricanes cover the eastern half of the world, engulfing Pamaltela as far west as Fonrit and making sailing all but impossible." Also, "Wise captains winter their vessels, dismantling the riggings and covering the hulls with planks to keep off the snow."

Storm Season - "Nevertheless, even most adventurous merchant captains prefer to gather their cargoes and eagerly wait for the winds to drop - to the early ships go the greatest profits!"

The player characters would set sail from Loskalm and eventually wind up in Umathela. I figure that the journey would be in stages: Loskalm to Pasos, Pasos to Justralia, Justralia to Umathela. Any advice from you narrators of the sea?

~Kevin McD