RE: Ley-lines

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:58:42 -0000

> Maybe I'm just hair-splitting, but I don't think that
> Dragonnewt roads or landmark magic is the same thing as the
> ley-lines Jane is talking about.

I haven't noticed any dragon-newts around here. And I'm not even sure I know what you mean by "landmark magic".

Ley lines. Lines of power, detectable by dowsing (so I'm told, but my dowsing is lousy), or by electronics. Generally go between two big chunks of stone in straight lines, hence links to standing stones and rings such as Stonehenge. Can be redirected, blocked, etc, etc. This is a Good Thing, because powerful lines can weaken crops and damage health. And yes, that book does contain reports on serious agricultural research on what they do to crops (it's subtle and complicated, not just on-off).

Sort of vaguely like the draconic power lines in Glorantha, hence the shared name. Only we don't (yet) know much about the Gloranthan ones. So ours can be a source of inspiration.

>Or maybe I just live on the
> west coast of North America and so have always had more
> iconic landmarks to focus on and never needed to try to make
> something impressive out of the English countryside.

Dunno what you mean by that. IMO the English countryside doesn't need any help to be "impressive" (not that that's really the point - subtely beautiful is the point, not somethng garish with neon).