Re: Homeland: Washington DC

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:52:25 -0000

> In October, I'll be getting my first ever visit to the USA. Dave
wants
> to see as many ACW battle sites as he can visit in 2.5 weeks, so
we'll
> be around Washington, Gettysburg, and that sort of general area.
> Somewhere called the Blue Ridge mountains also got mentioned,
along with
> a Native American reservation.

Sounds like great fun - my kid brother lives in DC and I go out there quite a lot for work and pleasure. Many of the battlefields are pretty impressive (I've got relatives from Virginia that claim that Antietam is still haunted). DC is an odd place, unlike London, Paris, or Rome, it is not a commercial or cultural center - it exists solely as the seat of the US government. That being said, DC has some excellent museums and cultural events.

Jeff