RE: What the Dragon Said

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 01:19:16 -0000

> From: Greg Stafford [mailto:Greg_at_...]
> Friends,
>
> > From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
>
> is on top of things.

Ooh! Am I? (Blushing)

> Myself, I rarely answer the players' questions of this sort.
> It ruins the fun of when they finally see.

Trouble is, if they've just overheard a conversation, in a language they know, you don't have a lot of choice.

> For the Narrator: The dragon agrees that if it gets its head
> back it will come alive and do what Kallry asks for one minute or so.

Thanks!

> > So what do you tell your players? Unless they speak Draconic
> > themselves,
>
> This above is the real KEY. They probably don't know draconic,...

(sigh) Players. Inventive. Bets? I know of at least one who put it in their 100 words, and another whose main aim in life is to learn it.

> I don't imagine that the average player characters are really
> close enough to Kallyr at this stage to be this close, either. YGWV.

Let's see, Rob's new PC "fancies" her, in the group he was running before, they were at one stage telling her what to do not vice versa, I know of another PC in another game who knew her when they were teenagers together, and three or so who claim to be related to her, the original questioner here says his group are very close to her... She's popular. With players and narrators as well as Gloranthans. (I leave my PCs out of the equation here - we know I'm biased!)

But, as I say, they can be as close as they like, and she *still* won't be giving away that secret. The only difference closeness will make is whether she apologises for the secrecy.

> Finally, for them to go along they have to overcome their
> Fear Dragons, which all player characters (except Kralori)
> have.

They do??

My ex-Sun County Humakti doesn't. No feelings either way. Well, maybe now, because she's met one (and killed it). She has a healthy respect for them, true.

My Darjiini scout doesn't. Again, no feelings either way. It was one of the optional personality traits for her, but she didn't take it - no reason to.

Skimming through keywords for other PCs I've helped generate recently - Carmanians don't seem interested, either. Char-Un? - nope. "Fearless", and no mention of dragons.

AFAIR the last few Vingans I've generated didn't choose to take it, either.

So where does this "all player characters have it" come from?