Sea scenarios - suggested readin

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:27:22 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, ALISON PLACE wrote:

<snip>
> A better model to use would be the Classical period,
> with Persian, Roman, Greek and Egyptian ships fighting
> it out in the Med. Or perhaps the Chinese use of
> junks. Mostly coastal shipping, smaller ships, lots
> of oarpower, simpler sail designs, plenty of pirates,
> and so on. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone
> who's written any novels based on any of these periods
> concentrating on a seaman's life. Anyone else know of
> any?

I do. Find Mika Waltari's "the Etruscean" (which would properly translate to "Turms the Immortal").

The period is right (Greeks fighting Persians) and the book is an excellent read anyway. The setting is mostly historical, with some light, Nephilim like, mysticism thrown in.

Mika Waltari is the one finnish writer many people here actually have a chanse of having read, if for nothing else, then because of Sinuhe the Egyptian (his most famous, but by no means best book).

        -Adept, Finland, EU