Re: Sources for inspiration for Heortling marriage

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:04:14 +1300

On Saturday 26 February 2005 08:55 am, Ian Cooper wrote:
> Of course there is always John and Jeff's 'Off courtship contests
> and cattle' to start with http://www.glorantha.com/new/courtship.html

I asked questions about that page back in March last year. Re-reading it, I notice reference to "a silver wedding torc, a hearth loom, and two white doves, as tradition demands", as part of the initial agreement to marry. I wonder how demanding tradition is? The vows themselves are unstated, so it looks like I might have to draft something there. I'm also still attached to the RQ notion that a married Heortling woman can be identified by her braids and marriage bracelets.

A key part of the marriage is the transfer of the bride from one clan to another. This makes a lot of sense for a normal marriage. For an emergency marriage it's not so easy, and I imagine this is an issue that later city-dwellers and clanless people will have to deal with.

> You can find interesting research into Viking marriage at the viking
> answer lady (sorry you will have to navigate to the exact page under
> daily life yourself, no url)
> http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/wedding.htm

That's a handy collation of the information on marriage as described in ON literature. (Gunnora's done well.)

A couple of thoughts: the minimum mundr needed to make a marriage valid was the equivalent of a certain amount of silver: eight ounces in Iceland and 12 ounces in Norway. Finding torc weights from various historical times and places, and making the assumption that the metals used for torcs in Glorantha have about the same trading value as the torc metals used in history, I think I'm wearing (significantly) more than the poor-man's mundr needed to make a (sagaic) marriage valid. That opens up a number of possibilities.

Cheers,
  Jennifer

--
Jennifer Geard