Re: Elemental associaltions

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:05:50 -0000

> As I recall there were two non-elemental
> metals [Bronze, Iron](1) and five elemental metals, each of which
> had three associations as shown below...
>
> Lead ---------> Darkness .. Black .. Insects
> Sea-metal(2) -> Water ..... Blue ... Fish
> Copper -------> Earth ..... Green .. Reptiles
> Gold ---------> Fire/Sky .. Yellow . Birds
> Silver? ------> Air/Storm ... ? .... Mammals

My copy of RQ2 says:

Lead ------> Darkness .. Black .. Insects .. Club/Rock
Aluminium--> Water ..... Blue ... Fish ..... Whip/Flail
Copper ----> Earth ..... Green .. Reptiles . Axe
Gold ------> Fire/Sky .. Yellow . Birds .... Spear/Arrow
Silver ----> Lunar ..... Red .... - ........ Sickle

By implication, Air is represented by mammals, and probably by swords/knives.

> Notes
> (1) Bronze was not an alloy of anything. It was mined directly from
> the ground.

While it's true that bronze was (and is) mined directly from the ground in Glorantha, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can't *also* be created by alloying, if one could be bothered.

> (2) At least that's what my old GM used to call it. There were two
> forms: Solid = Aluminum, Liquid = Quicksilver.

Yup. While RQ2 only mentions aluminium in the rulebook, its association with quicksilver has been there for a long time (and again, it's still the case; hence the Debaldan wizardry cult's ability to change the one into the other through magic).

> There was no Zinc, Tin, Brass, and so forth (except, perhaps in
> Mostali labs).

There was nothing, AFAIK, that said these things didn't exist. They weren't mentioned specifically, but that doesn't prove anything :)

> From memory it was never clear what the color associated with Air/
> Storm was (white--clouds?, grey--storm clouds?, etc.) and even Air's
> metal seemed a little unsteady.

Neither was stated - or at least, not in the main rulebook.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic