Re: Other chieftan gods

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:08:22 -0000

>I personally think there is
> an Issaries Rex or Issaries the Chief subcult out there
>somewhere.

I respectfully disagree. Argan Argar (or Argar Argan) is a ruling god as much as a trade/communication god - he's the ruler of the surface world. He's independent from the Storm Tribe but was a husband-protector of Ernalda when Orlanth was exiled (as was Elmal).

Issaries has no ruler aspect - he's strictly a communication, travel and psychopomp god. Issaries is definitely part of the Storm Tribe and his recognition of Orlanth's leadership is central to the Lightbringers' Quest - one of Issaries' core myths. He is not a husband-protector of Ernalda - in fact, Issaries really isn't a protector of anything.

> Lhankor Mhy could possibly have one, although I think it would be
the "Philosopher
> King", which I believe has been mentioned before. (Mind you, I
love the idea of lots of
> wacky LM cults. I'm still upset the Elasa cult wasn't the
Inspiration one.)

Again, I don't think there is Lhankhor Mhy rulership subcult. Temertain (and the other princes of Sartar) likely invoked Vingkot the High King in their kingship rites. The "Philosopher King" is not, IMO, a subcult but is instead a personal conceit of Temertain and his associates. Not every conceit, nickname, personality type or opinion has a cultic foundation. In fact, most probably don't.

Jeff