Obtaining a weapon through Heroquesting, part II

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:45:34 +0200 (EET)

Ok, let's go to the specifics of my case:

I'm messing about with some fairly legendary things in my game. Obviously there are unique artefacts in Glorantha that can't be
(easily?) duplicated.

My inspiration was the Raven Banner of Humakt in the "King of Dragon Pass" game. I wanted a history for the item, so I decided it dates from the EWF era, and the Humakti (or Dragon of Death) worshippers of the time.

I decided the proper use of the Raven Banner is as a Wyter for an entire army, bringing the bittersweet blessing of Humakt to the battle.

I also extrapolated on the idea, and wrote up legendary Humakti weapons
(for material to use with the Household of Death, of course) related to
the Raven Banner.

Ravenswing - the sword
Ravensbeak - the spear
Ravensclaws - two shortswords and a set of six throwing knives.

  ***

The mythological reasoning (this was before the published "Humakt, Wulf and Raven" myth) was that there was a powerful Raven daemon (a Humakti daemon) that inhabits and empowers the Raven Banner, and it's three children that inhabited magical weapons in the EWF era.

In my Glorantha (inspired by my origilan KoDP game, of course) the Raven Banner was found and used during the resettlement of Dragon Pass, but disappeared after a huge (by clan standards) battle with the entire Colymar tribe.

I decided that since the Banner was an EWF-era artefact the Raven Daemon has two aspects. One a god, and the other a (dream)dragon. So a black dragon of Death had been created during the huge battle in which hundreads perished under the Banner, and flew away with the body of the heroic clan chief (who carried the banner) and the banner itself.

In present day a Household of Death hero found, challenged and slew the dragon, regaining the banner from it's nest.

Said hero, Gerlef Ravenswing, wields the sword that gives him his name. The sword was created before we started the play, so now I'm going to run him a flashback using the "Humakt, Wolf and Raven" myth that seems to fit my ideas to a tee.

  ***

But it still seems to me that artefacts like that really should change the reality of the other side. Having the Daemon Ravenswing inhabit a sword of blackened iron and Truestone seems like a pretty major thing to me. Also I don't really see there being two Raven Banners in existance at the same time.

Parhaps it is so that if another would run the Quest to create the Raven Banner, and succeed, the original Banner would lose it's Daemon? Doubtlessly the owner of the Original banner would be drawn into the quest as an adversary.

But parhaps I have this wrong somehow?

Oh, and about the power level. Greg said at somepoint that the Household of Death humakti were (are) in the w3 range, and since that is also the lower end of the petty God range (and the top of the Daemon range) I went with that for the Raven's sons.

So I have 10w3 as the power of the weapons, and 10w4 as the power of the Raven Banner.

I'll be happy to hear comments and corrections to these.

        -Adept

PS. And for those interested in my reasoning, I pretty much started by thinking about the Battlebanner of the EWF... as found in King of Sartar.

PPS. I wonder if I should write this down for the www.glorantha.com site? I have some nice artwork by Suvi to go with it.