Player-related Sartar questions, Poljoni and Telmori

From: Norbert Franz <norbert.franz1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:00:43 -0000

Hello all,

I am starting a new HeroQuest game later today, with some players who have never heard of HeroQuest or Glorantha before.

One of my new recruits has expressed some interest in various Sartarite characters. I am not sure yet which Keyword(s) the new player is going to settle for.

This led me to the following questions:

Suppose I want to create a Poljoni player-character in HQ, using the rulebook and the information in Barbarian Adventures. What do I do? It would seem logical to combine the Heortling/Dragon Pass keyword with the job keyword of "Nomad", as Heortlings cannot usually be Nomads.
Of course, I would then iron out the character sheet by replacing
"Dragon Pass Geography" with "Borderlands Geography" and "Know
Heortling Myths" with "Know Praxian (or Poljoni) Myths" and so on. The "Farming" skill would be replaced by "Seek Food" or "Herding".

I could also imagine that someone's going to want to play a Telmori. As there is no keyword for the Telmori Homeland in the book, should I combine the occupational keyword of Hunter or Warrior with the Telmori Wolf stats, trimming the ability ratings to get them in line with the other new player-characters?
"Wolf Myths" would seem to be a necessity, as well as "Worship
Telmor" for a lay membership.

Besides that, I am going to present my players tonight with an
"all Keywords go" option, everything that is in the HeroQuest
rulebook, with no one Homeland or Hero Band prescribed. I am all for making the player group into a Hero Band, but I have no idea what they are going to decide on character-wise. I first let them create heroes, then I'm going to have to see how to tie those heroes together.