Re: Re: Mod - Getting Digesty

From: Stephen Rennell <steve_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:14:44 +1200

Nick Brooke wrote:
> Well, we've all read it now. So let's talk about it.

Argh. I'm going away from keyboard for 10 days, and I know this is going to fill my mailbox....

After a quick look, there's a couple of phrases that ping my alarm bells. On of them is on Page 4:
"The following are examples of the liberties that ISSARIES generally allows in these circumstances
� Wholly Original Material that reports details of a campaign, scenario run, or other use of published materials to explore or play Glorantha."

"Generally allows" implies to me that they believe that they have the right to disallow it. I am not a lawyer, but I'd be _really_ surprised if "Wholly original material" could be disallowed by ISSARIES.

I also think that if my game's tula map (which includes references to Larnste's Table, and a couple of other places already on official maps) is online, then Issaries counts that as derived work and I think they're claiming that I need formal permission to put it online (page 3, section 2C). Am I being too paranoid?

And If I put any adventure/plot descriptions up there, Issaries reserves the right to use them without bothering to ask me? (Fan based online sources are required to have "Concept Use" statements which says that they ..."reserve the right to use any Gloranthan names, places, and concepts, from any Original Material, in any future Gloranthan development or publications, without further credit or payment.")

I don't have that warm happy community feeling after reading the doc...

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell 	steve_at_...
Wellington, New Zealand