Re: Fan Publication Policy Objections

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 04:42:09 -0000

> I am a newbie here, so perhaps I should be sensible and just shut
up,
> but this reminds me a lot of some of the talk in the downloadable
> music industry. I understand that some companies have decided to
> dispense with copy-protection on the assumption that the people that
> are going to pay for their music are probably not all thieving
> bastards.
>
> Does Issaries -really- need to shield itself in this way? Is IP
> amongst Glorantha fans really such a complex issue that (apparently)
> repressive measures are justified? Have there been any serious
> problems to date?

Unfortunately, yes. There's a frightening number of lawsuits launched against IP holders by people who claim that their ideas were 'borrowed.' When I have a decent number of the stories of this in the RPG industry, hopefully Jeff R can make use of the information in his essay.

This is not our old gaming industry anymore, sadly. And, really, it never was - anyone remember SPI/TSR? Or TSR and the Elric/CoC material in Deities and Demigods, and, of course, what happened to HeroQuest originally.

Just sayin'

Jeff