Re: Re: Fan Policy

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:59:03 +0000 (GMT)

> This is what I suspected. So what exists is a
> situation where you
> (as an example - I am using a generic you - not
> specifically you
> Jane) may have written something, some of which is
> original and some
> of which may be derivative from an Issaries
> copyright, over which you have copyright.
>
> Now if Issaries publishes something that is
> derivative of your
> copyrighted work in any way, then they would have to
> get your
> permission to publish it. As Issaries is publishing
> this work for
> commercial gain, then in theory you could sue
> Issaries for damages
> if they didn't get your permission.

"Derivative of"??

Seriously?

Grabbing my exact words and using them, sure, but "derivative"??

Good grief.....

Concrete example to try to understand this: I once wrote a RQ cult writeup for Vinga. Derived from the RQ rules, mentions in KoS, slight re-writes of the Orlanth write-up.... yes, definitely and intentionally derivative from what I assume are Issaries copyrights.

Are you saying that if the current HW Vinga writeup was (without quoting my exact words) in any way "derivative" of mine, and they hadn't asked my permission, I'd have a leg to stand on in sueing? That's *insane*.

(Just in case it was, and I would - they've got permission!)

Jane Williams