RE: Re: Fan Policy

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:44:26 -0000

> > Are you saying that if the current HW Vinga writeup was (without
> > quoting my exact words) in any way "derivative" of mine, and they
> > hadn't asked my permission, I'd have a leg to stand on in sueing?
> > That's *insane*.
>
> Yes it is. It's also very real. Even in "civilized" Britain, I bet.

The last I heard, no. I'd only have a case if they used my exact words, and a reasonably substantial chunk of them at that. Not that I'm a lawyer, but that's my understanding, and in line with what Donald was saying earlier.

You *can't* prove that an abstract idea Issaries may have had was purely as a result of reading something I wrote, not a parallel creative process. So we don't bother considering it. If their words are identical to my words, though, that's another matter. The chances of the monkeys at the typewriter producing the same story are too slim.

Mind you, we don't let people sue McDonalds for supplying hot coffee, either :)