Re: Magic Visibility

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:35:50 -0000

I've struggled with this too, but I've come to terms with it. I think you made one error though, I don't think it is always "showy," but it can always be sensed.

Fiction is full of examples of special effects associated with persuasion/lying/charm type magics. Often it seems that eyes swirl or glow pulling the victim into them, or that words seem to pour around the victim like honey, binding up their free will. Note that if the victim succesfully resists, this would imply that they have some idea of what is used on them. If you don't like it that way, then have it that these effects aren't visible to the victim, but are to other observers (also an effect used a lot in fiction, when heroes realize that their companion has been enthralled and desperately try to break the victim out of the other's control).

Invisibility is harder in this regard, but then again, invisibility is innately hard in HQ. Note that in Glorantha there are no "illusions," that is everything you sense in real in some senses. So to be invisible means that you are actually not there, or are totally transparent (or it could actually be that you are not noticeable, people see you but don't realize it. Personally I think that is a much cooler effect). I think that here it would be visible at least at casting, and to some senses. That is, you might stand out super clearly to a trolls dark sense, craetures with a sensitive sense of smell might find soemthing very wrong when you are close by, to soul sight, spiritface, etc there might be some runic activity visible "I can tell that Eurmal magic is being used around here!"

More broadly, I think a lot of 'stealth' magic has a targetting or facing aspect. So if you are using 'hide from prey' magic, your prey won't notice you, will think you are a tree, or another deer, or whatever--but people who aren't prey will notice you all the more. If you are using 'pick pocket' magic, perhaps your fingers become unusually long and limber, which is easy enough to hide, but also it is possible that a sudden cold draft wafts through the crowd, oddly able to sneak through every gap in clothing. Those specifically looking for this sort of activity would have a chance of noticing these clues.

Just a few thoughts on the idea.

--Bryan