Glorantha, Ars Magica and Vis

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:02:41 +0300 (EEST)

Hi all.

I'm planning a game around a sorcery academy in Riverjoin (western Glorantha). I'm going to try and go into the details of sorcery, and am going to be making a lot of use of Ars Magica, which has the flavour I'm looking for.

My question is especially to those here who are familiar with Ars Magica.

One of the basic consepts of AM is Vis, which is raw magic distilled one way or another into solid objects. This Vis is what magicians use to create permanent enchantments, and to othervice work really serious magics. Once used Vis is gone (or if used in an enchantment, is a permanent part of the enchantment).

[In RQ we had the POWer stat, some of which one had to sacrifice to create permanent enchantments.]

Sorcerers (and wizards in general) are known for the practise of tapping creatures and their surroundings (and the essense planes, I assume) for energy. I'm starting to feel that the concept of Vis would fit the bill pretty well. This would also fit in nicely with the materialistic flavour of sorcery, binding even raw magic into solid objects for later use.

In HQ we have the example of the Falagian Diamonds, which seem to function in a fairly analogious way.

What do you guys think?

        -Adept