Flaw or not? (was Raiding for Hostages)

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:01:14 -0000

Um, I think she meant women from your own clan, tribe, or whatever. But that's not important right now.

When I first read this I thought "I take it that 'Disrespectful of Authority' wasn't quite so useful when it came to raising 100% support from the community." And then I thought "Shouldn't 'Disrespectful of Authority' be a flaw?" which was followed by "Maybe it would be for me but that's not the impression I get from David's description."

So, if something that is part of one characters core personality is a flaw in another character, who decides whether an attribute counts as a flaw?

The book uses fairly vague phrases like "usually a problem, not a benefit" and "normally they are a hindrance to a character, an obstacle that he must overcome" but the emphasis seems to be more along the "Flaws are story devices" lines.

Any thoughts from the more experianced and/or opinionated HQ gurus out there where YGreally doesV?

Thanks,