NPC's and Encounters

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:33:09 EDT

Hi All,

 I just want to clarify, I seem to have given the wrong impression to a few people out there about the background for my NPC book. The aim of the project is to create a project somthing similar to the Young Kingdom's Digest in Elric or the Encounters in RQ Monsters (Games Workshop edition). I am more interested in help detailing the everyday people than the BIG heroes, those characters deserve their own stories and could be submitted to the Unspoken Word, where they would receive proper justice. I beg you to do this, as you will see from UW1 and UW2 we have done this with several characters from our own stories and would love to do more.

The aim of the project is to make a simple Narrator's resource,a Trolls and Trollkin for the 21st Century if you will. Somthing to speed up the GM process. I know HQ lets you just say 'Okay the soldiers are all DARA HAPPAN (one Keyword) Rating 17, SOLDIERS (another keyword) 13' and you can use this to play them out, but to do so you end up madly flicking through the rule book between the two sections to see exactly what that means (unless you can remember it all) and it becomes very slow and boring, the characters are very flat and it deadens the colour in the game. I would rather have in front of me some interesting characters that I can reference. To some degree Issaries did this in the Narrator Resources of Barbarian Adventures pages 21-29.

Here is a sample of what I would want for a basic person.

Female Esrolian Bodyguard
Keywords - Devotee of Vinga the Spearwoman (Insert appropriate affinities or favoured feats) 17, Esrolian Warrior 15w

Significant Abilities- Spear and Shield 19w, Guard Mistress 1w, Stay Awake 19, Leap to Defence 5w, Lovely Eyes 20, Foul Mouth 1w, Run Down Opponent 20, Look for Weakness 18, Play Poker 13, Know Streets of Nochet (or other city)

Relationships- To sick mother 5w, to mistress 20, to mistresses family 12, Hates Lunars13.
Equipment - Light Bronze Chain +3, Large Shield +2, Javelin +2, Bag of loose change, fancy knife 20, Marked deck of poker cards 20.

 To be honest this is about a degree of laziness, on my part. It was somthing I began working on for my own use, and thought 'Hey, other people must have done somthing like this, lets see what they have got!'. If you are still interested in contributing then contact me.

Simon