Re: Larnsti Brotherhood

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 04:07:17 -0000

> You can make a reasonable living as a scribe in an illiterate
> society without being particularly good. An average clan will
> rarely have anyone with a decent written vocabulary and what's
> more I suspect the commonest written language in 1620's Sartar
> will be New Pelorian. Simply because there will be more stuff
> written in that language than anything else and the clans will
> have grown to distrust Lunar official's translations of official
> documents. Lunar missionaries will also be the most common
> source of such learning.

Actually I doubt that New Pelorian is widely used outside of the foreign population in Sartar. Most Lunar soldiers are illiterate as well! Moreover, most Heortlings will likely not risk Lhankhor Mhy's anger by learning a script. Between 1603 and 1625 there is a dramatic surge in the amount of documents written in New Pelorian, but when the Lunars leave Sartar, I suspect New Pelorian goes with them.

Jeff