RE: Re: Larnsti Brotherhood

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:00:43 +0100

> Actually I doubt that New Pelorian is widely used outside of the
> foreign population in Sartar. Most Lunar soldiers are illiterate as
> well!

There's a rather neat little Seven Mothers talent/feat (common magic) called "Read anything". Which implies to me that most Lunar solidiers can read (just). But they can't write. The Lunar army can issue written orders, to its officers at least, in the expectation of them being understood.

> Moreover, most Heortlings will likely not risk Lhankhor Mhy's
> anger by learning a script.

This is a different script, remember? The assorted scratching types, yes, that's sacred to LM, and you wouldn't want to annoy him. But being able to read what the Lunars are writing? Especially when some helpful Lunar decides to communicate with their "subjects" in writintg, because that would have worked at home? I don't see it being common, I don't see Sartar ever becoming a literate society, but more people able to read New Pelorian than their own language - yes. As Donald says, Lunar missionaries will teach it, too. So both the very pro-Lunar and the very anti-Lunar will be learning it.

> Between 1603 and 1625 there is a dramatic
> surge in the amount of documents written in New Pelorian, but
> when the
> Lunars leave Sartar, I suspect New Pelorian goes with them.

Yes. The remaining natives would no longer have any need for it.