Writing and all that.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 00:38:42 +0100

> >> But the individuals who've learnt it will still be there, and if
> >> the rebellion have been using it for convenience that may well
> >> continue. Just like Dark Age Europe - Latin was the written
> >> language because most literate people learnt it rather than their
> >> native tongue.
> >
> >Yes, but Latin had been the written tongue of most of western Europe
> >for a very very long time.
>
> More accurately the written tongue of southern Europe, only Gaul
> and Brittania were in the northern half of the continent. Yet the
> Roman church brought Latin into the rest long after the fall of
> Rome.

I am reminded with great joy of the time at a Tentacles in the past when a very mixed nationality group (playing Pendragon as far as I remember), fell back on Latin as a useful common language when English failed us. Yes, I do mean useful. I don't now remember what concept English was failing to get across, but we all knew enough Latin that we could use it as a common language. And that's well over a thousand years after the LunarsXXXX Romans left!

> >>Of course there may be a religious
> >> inspired backlash in Sartar against anything Lunar.

> Sure, it's only a possibility dependant on a lot of factors and
> it's importance minimal given that literacy is completely
> forgotten in the area a little later.

Now there's an interesting combination of concepts. We never do find out what caused the Illiteracy Era, do we? A religiously inspired backlash against writing?

Of course, in reality it's probably one of those things that gets caused by PCs, by accident. But even they need a method...