Re: Larnsti Brotherhood

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 23:49:31 -0000

> >What is an "officer" in a Tarshite unit? Or for that matter,
what
> >is an "officer" in the armies of ancient Greece (or even
Macedon)?
> A soldier who leads others. The modern distinction between NCOs
> and COs is probably inapplicable given that it is based on social
> class although I note that even Carmenian squad leaders must be
> Hazars (ILH1 pg. 13).

That's exactly what I was trying to get at!:) No reason warleaders need to be terribly literate in ancient or medieval armies. This isn't to say that most Lunar warleaders are illiterate - I personally think that most are. I just don't think that it is something that can adequately be handled by a relatively small group or caste of people.

> I'm sure there are senior officers who are illiterate but that's
> going to be the exception and a weakness.

Well, Fazzur's army is mostly Provincial and quasi-Orlanthi - and if there's one thing we know about Fazzur, he's a lousy bureaucrat. Jorad Sideburn is a Tarshite from an undistinguished family and Jomes the Wulf is an Aggarite. They may well lead based on presence, charisma and bravery, instead of bureaucratic ability. Think Kit Carson, Lieutenant General Henry Hawley, or Nathan Bedford Forrest in the relatively modern era.

> I'm surprised that most clans support a Lhankor Mhy sage as other
> than a lawspeaker - which is an oral rather than written tradition.
> Even if they do those sages will have to learn the new language
> and possibly a new script.

I think most tribes have access to a literate Lhankor Mhy sage. Read (local language) is part of the LM keyword. Given that they are already used to the idea of a written language, they are most likely going to be in a better position to learn New Pelorian than most other Heortlings.

Jeff