Re: War In Sartar

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:28:40 -0500

Gareth Martin wrote:

> > Spain. It took the Romans about 2 centuries to bring the
> > place to heel.
> > Some of her greatest generals cut their teeth dealing with those
> > provinces - Marius, and Pompey for example.
>
> Well that precisely an example of warfare I do not consider to be "guerilla"
> warfare. It's just irregular, opportunist and scattered. Full blown
> guerilla warfare is not really warfare but politics.
> A guerilla organisation marries the command and control strcuture of a
> regular army to the operational needs of irregular warfare. The
> orlanthi/spanish rebels are scattered warbands operating with large degrees
> of independance; they may be irregular but they are not guerillas.

I would point out that the Spanish resistance to the French, where we get the name for guerilla warfare, was not coordinated or orgainzed much past the "warband" level. Only the most teneuous controls were exercised by the British due to communication and supply was mostly from the French.

I think that mirrors the situation in Sartar quite nicely. The only thing lacking is a foreign supply base to draw from.

Jeff

Jeff