Re: Re: Ethilrist's men and total population

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:19:34 +0300 (EEST)

Hi guys. I took up the subject a few years ago. Greg chimed in and confirmed that a unit of blackhorse riders isn't literally 500 men, but rather something like a hundread men. It's the _equivalent_ of five hundread strong unit of heavy cavalry. I can dig up more of the posts, but they are also findable from the yahoo archives.

        -Adept

  ---
[from my original posting]
Going with some historic numbers, and some excellent H�rnmaster supplements I've come up with these numbers.

Blackhorse County: Population 20 000.

Ignoring for a while the "capital" of Muse Roost, a knight driven feodal society like this should be composed of 200 villages of about a hundread people. Every village has a knight as a manor lord, and the knight has a fev squires with him.

>From this we get an elite body of 200 knights and 400 of the less
armored and less skilled cavalry.

In a village of 100 there should be about 20 men that can be raised as militia. This gives the the county a theoretical potential of 4000 militia.

In practise I would think 2000 militia would be the absolute maximum that can be trotted out for war for any lenght of time.

For a standard contract, of maybe a seasons fighting I'd say:

1 element of knights:
200 blackhorse knights, led by Ehilrist himself.

2 elements of cavalry:
400 riders of armored cavalry, also mounted on demonsteeds. (possibly qualifying as superior or heavy cavalry)

6 - 8 elements of of spear.
1400 - 1600 men of cheaply equipped but somewhat trained spear levy, led by professional soldiers hoping to make it to the cavalry / knighthood.

  ***

A tidy little army, and one well worth hiring I'd say. Especially in a time and place where cavalry is scarse and knights a terrifying and almost unknown thing.

        -Adept