Re: lunar college of magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:33:10 +1200

At 06:58 AM 6/28/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>1) What about the Luanr college of Magic, what kind of sorcerers are
>there?

There are all kinds of magicians there: sorcerers, priests, shamans and followers of all three.

>2) What are the main lunar sorcery/wizardry sects/orders but for the
>cerise church?

Nobody knows. There was a Makabeus order in the Hero Wars: RIG book but that didn't really strike me as being authentically lunar but more of a generic order for Lunars that happened to be wizards. I have a similar reaction to the Cerise Church but that's largely due to it being inappropriately written in the form of a Malkioni Church (which it isn't) and terms like wizardry look manifestly out of place.

Two examples of authentically lunar sorcery cults are given in Tales #20: the Minderkind School and Eastpoint College. The Eastpoint College studies the Seven Phases of the Moon and use those to understand the Cosmos (or at the very least to enhance their magic) while the Minderkind School is:

         By Illuminating the ancient doctrines of the Loskalmi
         Empire with the Light of the Red Goddess, the
         Minderkind School discovered new philosophical
         methods.  By juxtaposing observations about dual
         entities and proving them, the Sages had revealed
         that Matter was Energy, Light was Dark and Good
         was Evil.  [...]  Such was the strength of [one sage's]
         wisdom, many said that she could look at someone
         and kill them by "proving" that Life was Death.

These are Arrolian Schools and not popular in the Lunar Empire.

If I were to make a guess at the Lunar Sorcery Orders, I would have most of them as Lunarized versions of existing Pelorian sorcery orders (such as the Carmanian Viziers, the Blue Wizards, the Spolites and so forth) with a minority being brand new schools.

>3) are they all subject to the lunar cycle?

Yes.

>and what about the town of 10000 magicians?

I did a treatment of that for a Continuum fundraiser (the Manus Liber Rerum, vol I). They are not Lunar Magicians but imprisoned sorcerers from the Imperial Age. Ever since their captors have vanished, they are willing to teach anybody their knowledge but if you learn too much then you will become a Magician and unable to leave the City. Supposedly a Bad Thing is supposed to happen when the Prison has accumulated Ten Thousand Magicians (most of them are asleep) but one can still obtain permits to visit there.

--Peter Metcalfe