RE: HQ still doesn't make much sense was RE: Eurmali

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:08:49 +0100

>>I'm still trying to figure out how characters improve in any real way.
>>Or how they grow in the story over time. So far, I haven't quite
>>been convinced that the HQ game system helps in the storytelling
>>at all. It's like you have this system, floating out in the ether, and
>>then you have the story... and there's no connection at all. I find
>>it frustrating.

Possibly this is better over on the HQ-rules list (or even the Forge forum for HQ, since you seem to be broaching a 'theory of play' sort of issue) but lets keep it here for now, since this is where its been raised.

Can you expand a bit on your comments please? There are a number of obvious answers to the specific points you raised (such as PCs improve and grow by spending hero-points) but those are *so* obvious that I suspect I'm missing a deeper concern. WRT connecting system to story, well the principal transmission system as I see it is in appropriate choice and use of abilities - especially relationships and flaws (where I define a flaw as an ability that gets a PC into trouble) - but again, I suspect this is a too-obvious answer and I am missing a deeper point.

Regards
Luke