Re: Eurmali Plausible?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:21:24 -0000

> I don't think that all tricksters are violent
> psychopaths. Some of them are just dumb crazy people.
> Perhaps, when the chips are down, it comes down to
> the same thing, but many societies have integrated
> trickster/contrary/clown/outcastes without such
> violent results.

Yeah, but they can't do the things an Eurmali can do. Not all crazy people are Eurmali - remember, one of the more common Chalana Arroy subcults can alleviate madness (not to mention the existence of other prescribed roles for lunatics such as the cults of Urox, Babeester Gor, Humakt, Kev and even Lhankhor Mhy). However, as Thunder Rebels says, "when someone has gone to all the healers and nothing works, then everyone knows Eurmal has touched him, and so they take him to an Orlanth god-talker to cure him. The god-talker does the Shouting for Trickster rite, and if possible drives the Trickster out of the child. If the Trickster remains, the godtalker  will call other holy folk to help perform the Rite of Mold and Mold. After the rite, the trickster is either dead or an initiate of Eurmal in one of the Prescribed Roles."

> Don't trust a trickster, but as long as all they're
> doing is farting, belching, and souring the milk, it's
> no problem for a patient adventuring band.

However, as is pointed out in Thunder Rebels:

"Most people who want to play a trickster do not understand him. He is not a funny comedian who plays gagas and tricks and makes jokes. If someone tries to prove that Eurmal is only a jester, he is deluding himself. The truth about Trickster is that no one wants him around unless he is bonded."

Jeff