Re: The Best Way to be a Hero Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense was RE: Eurmali

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:11:52 -0400

On Wed, 2005-27-07 at 18:58 +0200, Manuel MOLINIER wrote:
> The best way to be hero is not necessarily in common magic, which is very limited in itself
> (when I look each "religion" taken seperately it's the feeling I got).

But not mechanically. There's nothing saying you can't get any power as a common magic spell/feat/charm/talent.

> If you wish to get more you have to join other group/religion which are not always glad to teach you.
> This if you take apart the social aspect (what will your comrade say about you learning foreign/enemy magic by joining).

Oh, there is no argument that looking at how Glorantha is presented, common magic is implied to be both weaker than other magic, and not something people normally concentrate. (But something LOTS of people use.)

> Now let's talk about Heroquesting, what will your average common magic user do in Heroquesting ?
> Very much poorly as he will not be able to stand for any deity as an initiate or devotee might do.

I mentioned ritual roles are about the only thing where we can obviously see it is better to be specialized. Even there, the ritual rules really read like they only cover Theism (and somewhat Animism). What is the devoted role for Wizardry? (Is it a Wizard? An Orderly? A Liturgist?) The whole ritual role aspect seems completely at odds with how Wizardry is portrayed. In fact, Western HeroQuesting in general is difficult to imagine, as the centrality of myth seems a bit less evident.

But since Wizardry people presumably don't "stand for a deity" in a HeroQuest, common magic concentration wouldn't be an issue there, would it?

> Regarding this I will probably not say that Broyan or Kallyr are not concentrated the way they Heroquest
> (and stand in for Deities on their heroquest).

Concentration should have little to do with standing in for the deities. As for the otherworld penalty for non-concentration, that's an interesting point in favour of heavy HeroQuesters being concentrated.

> Now let's talk about secrets : Find me a good resurect spell in common magic. Show me Death secret?

Jane has pointed out that healing is one thing the rules draw a line between common and specialized magic on. Secrets are somewhat powerful, but not all specialized religions have them, or are all of them equally powerful.

But the general feats and spells don't really outclass the common magics. Depending on how likely secrets are in your game, that can be an issue.

LC