RE: Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:18:32 +0100

> Despite that, they've heard VASTLY more "yes" than they are used to in
> character creation.

I hope it was "yes, but.."?

> The game doesn't easily simulate the "both are beaten to
> within an inch
> of their lives, but one survives" though. You can do it, and
> a narrator
> and group can interpret things many ways, but it isn't
> evident that this is an option.

Agreed, and it's a dramatic way to do things.

I like the "take AP as wounds" idea for this. Or altering target numbers if the protagonist is willing to take "injuries" while doing it.

"I run through the burning house to rescue the princess" is harder than "I run through the burning house ignoring the way my clothes and skin are smoldering". Lower TN, but accept a -1 thereafter.

Sometimes there are default assumptions made by the GM that have to be questioned - you tend to assume that the "and I do this while avoiding injury in so far as possible" is just unspoken. It may not even be intended at all.